Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Van Gaal: I won't change formation just because fans ask for it

Van Gaal: I won't change formation just because fans ask for it
The Manchester United manager switched from a back three to a 4-4-2 diamond on Saturday after away supporters chanted for the change but he insists that it was his own decision


Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal insists that he did not switch to a 4-4-2 against QPR as a result of fan complaints.



Starting with a back three at Loftus Road on Saturday, the Red Devils struggled to assert themselves and only scored after the tactical change, one championed loudly by the away supporters on the day.

But Van Gaal is adamant that he cannot pay attention to the whims of supporters, telling reporters: "I cannot observe the fans because how many fans do Manchester United have? You cannot take into account 600 million opinions.

"To look at the players, to communicate with the players, to observe and to analyse: that’s my job."

Radamel Falcao came in for criticism after missing several chances against Harry Redknapp's side and Van Gaal was careful to stress that the Colombian’s exorbitant wages will not guarantee him more chances.

"Every player gets his time, no matter who you are," the manager continued.

"It's not relevant [that more money has been spent on Falcao]. We have 29 players so then we have to talk about 29 players, not just one player.

"Before this match I have already thought about this shape and how to play, then I look to my players in a training session and I look to my game plan and then I choose. You can't always give the credit to the most expensive player and, if a young player never gets a chance, then I'm not a very good manager.

"I have to treat all of the players at the same level with the same rules and same demands. It's difficult to understand because the outside world is thinking, when you pay a lot for the player, then you have to put him in the squad."

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...